Tuesday, November 4, 2008

SES's Beautiful Writings

12/12/08 I got off work a bit early (ten minutes) and was really enjoying all the pink clouds in the western sky as I drove down the hill through the forest, but as I get deeper into the valley between an eastern ridge and a western ridge I happened to notice the full moon peak over the eastern ridge and then climb up and engulf the rise atop the headland. Now, i know it is about a mile across the rise, but that old man just eased up and and took it over, looked down and smiled a moonlight path across the ponds beside the highway. As I drove further he had climbed up into the deep blue sky grinning away as he receded into the night sky. I don't know which i love most, the full moon climbing across the sky or the nights it is so clear you can almost reach up and pick a star for your pocket.


11/4/08 I hurried out of the school to run home and watch all the election updates. As I was at the front gate I noticed the grey clouds of the cool front moving into the northern and western sky then I saw the sun resting on top of the pine trees on top of the high ridge. As I drove along the length of the ridge it was fascinating to see the clouds turn a pale pink and then the sun peeking through the burnt skeletons of pine trees from the forest fire two years ago. The sun slowly slid behind the trees and the clouds started turning a pale peach with brilliant golden edges until there was no more sun, just a wonderful pink sky with wispy peachy gold clouds. As I descended into the valley the sun popped back over the lower ridge for a last glance at the farm buildings on the east end of the valley who all stood proudly wearing windows of gold nestled into the embraces of the dark forest beyond them. After a quick look the sun vanished completely leaving behind the most glorious golden display among the clouds. And then I turned into town and it was night.
I may complain about coming home in the dark, but I forget these little gifts of Nature. I am so glad I don't live in a big city any more!

No comments: